Ugly Christmas sweaters are a beloved holiday tradition, but figuring out what to wear on the bottom half can be tricky. The right pants will pull your outfit together seamlessly. Here are some tips on what pants pair best with ugly Christmas sweaters.
Corduroy pants are a classic choice that always look great with holiday sweaters. The ribbed texture provides a nice complement to busy Christmas patterns.
Dark Washed Corduroys
- Dark washed corduroys in colors like black, brown, navy, or dark green work well. They don't compete with the vibrant colors and designs of the sweater.
- Opt for straight leg or slim fit corduroys. Avoid anything too baggy or skinny.
- Corduroys with minimal detailing look most polished. Stay away from bold patterns or distressing.
- Alternatively, go for a pop of color with bright corduroys in red, kelly green, or purple.
- Match the color to one featured on your sweater. This ties the outfit together.
- Colored corduroys look best in classic fits like straight or wide leg.
- Add a button-down shirt under your sweater, leaving it untucked over the cords.
- Finish the outfit with casual shoes like penny loafers, oxfords, or booties.
- Top with a blazer for a put-together vibe.
Make a bold statement by pairing your ugly Christmas sweater with fun printed pants. Whimsical patterns complement the playful nature of the sweaters.
Plaids and Checks
- Plaid and checkered pants in Christmas colors like red, green, and black work perfectly.
- Choose bolder buffalo check or gingham patterns to match loud sweater designs.
- For a subtler look, opt for simple black and white checked trousers.
- Tailored fits look most polished, avoiding excess volume.
Holiday and Novelty Prints
- Snowflakes, candy canes, reindeer - lean into festive prints that inject more holiday spirit.
- Or go for novelty prints like animals or food in whimsical Christmas colors.
- Balance loud sweater and pant patterns by keeping silhouettes slim and sleek.
Styling Printed Pants
- Stick to solid colored sweaters if your pants have bold patterns.
- Add a belt to define the waist.
- Pair with simple ankle boots or loafers.
- Finish with a blazer or cardigan for layered look.
Dark Wash Jeans
Dark wash jeans are a versatile, fail-safe choice for any ugly Christmas sweater outfit. They are casual yet polished.
Dark Blue Jeans
- Pick dark indigo jeans in a classic blue wash. Black denim also works well.
- Straight leg, slim, or skinny jeans all pair nicely with the slouchy fit of Christmas sweaters.
- Opt for minimal whiskering, fading, and distressing. You want rich, solid color.
Dark Gray Jeans
- Alternatively, go for dark gray denim. This provides contrast from standard blue jeans.
- Choose a gray with brown undertones rather than greenish grays.
- Gray jeans look best in straight leg cuts. Size up for a relaxed, baggy fit.
Styling Dark Denim
- Cuff jeans at the ankle to show off fun holiday socks.
- Add oxford shoes, loafers, or ankle boots.
- Layer with a casual blazer or leather jacket.
- Finish with cool accessories like beanies, scarves, or gloves.
For a casual, comfy aesthetic, pair your Christmas sweater with joggers or harem pants. The slouchy silhouette plays up the relaxed vibe.
- Stick to neutral joggers in black, gray, tan, or navy. They act as a blank canvas for bold sweater prints.
- Opt for cotton, polyester, or jersey blends. Avoid heavy fabrics like fleece.
- Go for a tapered leg or elastic cuff at the ankle.
- Alternatively, wear colored joggers in burgundy, mustard, hunter green, or even jewel tones.
- Match the color to a hue featured on the sweater.
- Wider, slouchier fits work best for colored joggers.
- Finish with white sneakers or slip-on shoes.
- Add a beanie for a casual vibe.
- Layer on a denim or bomber jacket.
- Stick to minimal accessories like simple pendant necklaces.
Leggings or Tights
For women, leggings provide a form-fitting bottom that won't hide your statement sweater.
Opaque Black Leggings
- Opaque black leggings are foolproof. They elongate your legs and don't take away from the sweater.
- Choose thick, structured leggings rather than flimsy materials.
- Matte finishes look most polished. Avoid anything shiny.
- Leggings with subtle patterns like Nordic prints, dots, or geometric shapes can also work well.
- Make sure the patterns aren't too crazy busy or vibrant.
- Pair patterned leggings with solid sweaters to balance the look.
- Layer sheer black tights under miniskirts or dresses.
- Add heeled booties or knee-high boots.
- Top with an oversized blazer or long cardigan.
- Finish with sparkly jewelry and a fun hat or headband.
Faux Leather or Vinyl Leggings
For an edgier vibe, wear faux leather or shiny vinyl leggings with your ugly Christmas sweater. The contrast creates a playful high-low look.
Black Faux Leather Leggings
- Matte black faux leather leggings offer classic sophistication.
- Go for a second-skin fit - avoid baggy, slouchy styles.
- Front or faux back seams add flattering definition.
Metallic or Colored Vinyl
- Alternatively, make a statement in metallic gold, silver, or jewel-toned vinyl leggings.
- Prioritize opaque, high-waisted styles.
- Pair with solid sweaters to balance the shiny bottoms.
Styling Faux Leather/Vinyl
- Add black stiletto pumps or over-the-knee boots.
- Layer cropped moto jackets on top.
- Finish with edgy accessories like spike studs or cuffs.
- For casual wear, style with sneakers and cropped puffer coats.
Ugly Christmas sweaters call for bottoms that match their playful quirkiness. Choices like corduroys, printed pants, dark jeans, joggers, or leggings can all provide great complements to statement-making holiday tops while still keeping outfits polished. Have fun mixing textures, patterns, and colors to develop your own signature Christmas ensemble. Don't be afraid to get creative!